Sunday, February 6, 2011

Getting Started

So where to begin?

Well, as I'm teaching an advertising management course, this weekend holds a lot of promise for a Monday discussion.  During the SuperBowl, new TV spots will arrive from a wealth of popular brands, and these commercials will be analyzed and critcized in the weeks ahead.  And as for me?  Hey, I'm looking forward to the actual game as well.

Now, wikis seemed to be the topic of discussion in Dr. Clouser's class last Tuesday.  While it might take some time for me to get adjusted to the idea of using wikis for my class, the idea that students could share information with one another (and edit each other's work) does seem rather productive.  I'd just have to come up with a practical use for them.

Speaking of Dr. Clouser?  I need to voice (type?) my appreciation for her letting me in the class as a late addition.  Fortunately, the course seems like it could be extremely helpful, and the other students in the class appear to be smart, savvy, and cool - a great combination for learning and group work.

Currently, I'm playing catch-up.  I've taken the TPI test, and ended up scoring highest on Apprenticeship.  That only makes sense, as I'm always trying to find ways to prepare my students for the 'real world.'  Plus, they regularly ask me questions about my advertising background...  "Adam, is this how it works in a real agency?"  I've heard this one several times already.  (And yes, I told my class to call me Adam.  I simply prefer it to Mr. Avant.)

Anyway, these are the wee hours of the morning.  And I want to get some sleep.  So sayonara, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks for the shout-out! I'm happy to have you in class and look forward to your reflections on using technology in your courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have ya in class Adam! I'm curious about you TPI results - what category was your lowest score in? Most of the rest of class had a very low "Social Reform" score.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to hear what a marketing man like you thinks about the Super Bowl commercials this year. Better than Aguilera's botched national anthem or Fergie's severed vocal cords?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brendan. Happy to be in the class.

    And my lowest score was indeed Social Reform. I guess most of us would rather 'change the world' by reaching one student at a time...

    Lincoln, I'd have to say Volkswagen came on strong this year with the Darth Vader spot and the teaser campaign for a new Beetle that looks to reposition the car for a more masculine audience. The BestBuy (Ozzy and Bieber) spot also looked to be a big winner with both industry professionals and fans. (Although ask folks what that particular spot was selling. You'll be surprised by the number of "umm, not sure" answers. Ha.) The industry seemed to also respond well to the Chrysler spot with Eminem, but I'm not too sure how I feel about that one. And of course, Motorola turning the tables on Apple with a riff on the megapopular 1984 spot caused some buzz in the ad world as well.

    Personal favorites include the Chevrolet spot with the two guys narrating/directing the action, the Mini "Cram it in the boot" spot, and the Bridgestone beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, welcome to the class! i hadn't thought about the relevance of the apprenticeship perspective to the advertising field but it makes perfect sense! in educational psychology, we tend to look at this kind of learning&teaching as top-notch, so i'm looking forward to hearing more about your class as we continue the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and thanks for the class-wide compliment, we all are indeed savvy and cool! :)

    ReplyDelete